It’s Official: Musexpo’s ‘California Entertainment Week’ Is Happening March 24th-29th
Get ready for an enormous sushi roll of music, radio, A&R and entertainment —California style.
Longtime A&R and music industry player Musexpo is rolling its successful portfolio of LA-based conferences in a potent bundle. Dubbed ‘California Entertainment Week,’ the combo-play is officially on the calendar for March 24th-29th, with Burbank playing host.
This event has traditionally been held in West Hollywood or Hollywood, with all the sizzle and chaos that comes with that. Smartly, the action is now shifting to the tamer (and more picturesque) Burbank, ‘the entertainment capital of the world,’ with fresh perks like parking, free space, and more reasonable hotel costs.
Basically, the inaugural California Music Week will include two Musexpo pillars: the Creative Summit and the Worldwide Radio Summit. The action will be happening at the freshly-facelifted Castaway, which features some pretty stunning views of the surrounding Verdugo Mountains.
Ahead of that, expect a panoply of dinners, side-parties, and showcases to dot around the main event.
The Castaway has been a longtime Burbank establishment, detached in a club-like atmosphere in the mountains surrounding LA. That’s probably a far better place for networking and getting down to business, with previous digs like the W Hotel perhaps a little too distracting.
The mega-conference, helmed by Sat Bisla, is aiming to touch upon critical areas of A&R, songwriting, production, and music marketing.
Already confirmed are heavyweights like…
- Steve Fitzmaurice (producer for Sam Smith and Rag N Bone Man);
- Billy Mann (producer/songwriter for P!nk, John Legend, Take That, Sting, David Guetta, Celine Dion);
- Jennifer Knoepfle (Sr. VP of West Coast A&R, Sony/ATV Music Publishing);
- Fred Casimir (EVP Global Recordings & President Continental Europe, BMG);
- Aton Ben-Horin (Global VP, A&R, Warner Music Group);
- John Fleckenstein (Co-President, RCA Records);
- Tara Piper (Head of Entertainment Marketing, The Coca-Cola Company);
- Dan Burt (Music Supervisor/Producer, JWT);
- Thaddeus Rudd (Co-President of Mom+Pop Music);
- Paul Adam (Head of Songwriter Relations, Spotify Europe)
Also on tap: a special music distribution panel featuring eOne, Australasia’s MGM Distribution, China’s NetEase Cloud Music, synch-based distributor Songtradr, and India’s Times Music.
The Creative Summit has also confirmed an A&R-focused keynote interview featuring Capitol Records UK co-presidents Nick Raphael and Jo Charrington, with the colorful Bob Lefsetz dropping the q-bombs.
There’s also the annual Worldwide Radio Summit, which is a heavily-attended radio-focused event that spans traditional, online and satellite platforms.
Check out more on the event here.